Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Value Of Mothers At Home

It is the opinion of most people that mothers in today's society must work because families need two incomes to survive in today's economy.  I was chatting with my mom's best friend, Jannis, about this. Back in her day of raising children:

Every family only had one car.

There were no cell phones, Internet, cable, computers and maybe one television.

People didn't eat out much or go on expensive vacations.

Women used cloth diapers and made meals from scratch.

Birthdays were simple affairs in the backyard with everything homemade.

Maybe our wants are too high today. The Bible tells us that  the older women are to train the younger to be...keepers at home.  You can interpret that any way you want but I think that it means mothers should be raising their own children and taking care of their husbands and homes.

Wasn't this country a much better place when the majority of mothers were home raising their children? I know there are certain circumstances like death of a spouse or divorce where women need to work. The Bible says that the church should be taking care of widows, but it doesn't do a very good job at doing that. I know a lot of people disagree with me but these are just my thoughts because I sure LOVED having my mom home all the time when I was growing up ~
She fixed us healthy, yummy food.

Everyone liked to hang out at our home because of all the good food!

When we were sick, she was there to nurse us back to health.

She had a garden and fed us out of it all summer.

She kept the house clean and orderly.

The first moment I walked in the door from school, she was there for me to talk with.

She was a great mom!  I am so thankful for her and a dad that insisted she be at home with us taking care of us.
 
To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their
own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.
Titus 2:5