Thursday, March 3, 2011

Still Not Getting It Right...

This whole submission thing is real difficult for me.  I keep thinking I'm getting it, but then realize I'm not really.  We were mentoring a couple the other night, an adorable couple by the way, and Ken said.  "Submission is no big deal.  The only time wives are told  to submit are on the real big decisions and there never are real big decisions." 

 That made me sad...it seems like it should be more than that.  What is submission then, I thought.  Then I read this:

So how does he feel about leading you? Does his heart sing at the
prospect? Or does he wince and cringe and groan, because he knows every
decision will be faulted, criticized, found wanting, and countered;
every mistake will be noted, analyzed, and commented on; and every success
will be minimized or credited elsewhere? Were I to ask your husband who
his most loyal admirer and supporter was, would your name leap to his
smiling lips? Should it?

THIS was convicting!!!  When he gives his opinion, I still want to give mine which is usually contrary to his.  It is amazing to realize how blind we are to our own faults.  I'm not saying it's wrong to give your opinion but I think my motive is, "I am right and he is wrong." 

We had lots of little decisions to make for the wedding and I sure let him always know my opinion.  After I read this, I tried really hard not to and just let him do it his way and you know what,  it was okay.  His way was good, it led to much more harmony and I don't have to have everything my way for it to turn out okay!  Whew!  I guess I will never stop learning...

Wives, SUBMIT yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
Ephesians 5:22