Thursday, June 16, 2011

Disagree Agreeably

My sister, Alisa, admonished (which is another word for encouraged) me today...In a very nice, gentle way.  She said I need to make sure you all know that just because I tell you not to argue doesn't mean you shouldn't share your opinions with your husband.  I told her I had written a post about disagreeing agreeably.  She thought I should post it soon, because she knows I am no mousy thing who never gives her opinion.  I give it TOO much, so I had to learn to let God work on my husband after I had given my opinion once or twice.  So here is the post a bit early~

Arguing is not a good thing.  I have written about that over and over again.  You can stop.  You just have to keep biting your tongue.  However, that doesn't mean that you and your husband have to agree about everything.  That would be impossible.  You have to learn to disagree agreeably!  You need to let him have his opinion.  If you disagree, tell him once and let it go...No arguing, no fighting...It is that simple.  Give it to God and pray about it.  You don't have to be right.  You don't have to get your way.  Sometimes you may have to compromise and sometimes you may have to give in.  Do anything you can to keep the peace, because we are suppose to be known as peacemakers.  Children like peaceful homes.  It makes them secure and confident in this insecure world.  So stop arguing and start learning to disagree agreeably.  It's a good thing.

Starting a quarrel is like breaching a dam; so drop the matter before a dispute breaks out. (Proverbs 17:14)