Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Eating Your Portion

Food is so yummy and eating is so fun, but it can become an idol.  Look at the epidemic of obese people today.  The sad thing is that they would give anything to be at a healthy weight.  Being overweight is uncomfortable.

When I get even a few pounds overweight, I don't like it.  Fortunately, I guess, I haven't had to struggle much with my weight, because I have been so sick.  Now that I feel better, it is definitely more of a struggle.

The way I have dealt with it is to pray.   I ask God to give me the discipline to never overeat and only eat my portion.  The Holy Spirit lives inside of us.  We are suppose to go to the Lord with our needs.  He tells us we don't have because we don't ask. So start asking for discipline in this area.  He wants to work powerfully inside of you.

Another great thing to do is speak Scripture to yourself like Jesus did when He was tempted by Satan.  When tempted to overeat, remind yourself to only eat "your portion." 

When men are tempted to lust, they should remind themselves of the covenant they made with their eyes like Job did.  (Hopefully, they will make this covenant.  It is a good one!) ~

I made a covenant with my eyes not to look with lust at a young woman.
 Job 31:1

Another good idea is to have someone that holds you accountable.  My husband and I are accountable to each other.  We never want to become overweight, so we both have a weight we are not allowed to go over.

Setting goals is another good idea:  no snacking, not eating past 6:00, no sugar, exercise more, eating only three meals a day, never overeating.  Portion control or "my portion" is the key.  Discipline your body.  Don't let that piece of cake or cookie boss you around!  Say "NO" to it and don't let it control you.

Keep deception and lies far from me, Give me neither poverty nor riches; Feed me with the food that is my portion, That I not be full and deny You and say, "Who is the LORD?" 
Proverbs 30:8

My flesh and my heart fail; But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Psalm 73:26

All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.  Foods for the stomach and the stomach for foods, but God will destroy both it and them.