Sunday, March 11, 2012

Dating Your Spouse


We were encouraged before we got married to go on a date once a week with each other after we got married.  We were faithful about doing this the first several years of marriage, but usually ended up fighting. Since the dates weren't that much fun, we stopped.

Nothing is fun to do with your spouse when you don't like each other. But guess what, almost everything is fun to do with them when you enjoy each other. We had to learn to enjoy each other and be friends. The single most important thing to becoming friends is to treat each other like a friend.

I was, unfortunately, treating Ken like most women treat their husbands. He was constantly irritating me and not behaving like I wanted him to behave. I became his mother somehow and he became my son that I needed to train and discipline.

I see this over and over again in marriages. Men don't want a mother or a competitor, they want a wife ~ 

They want that woman they fell in love with. 

The woman they had fun with and that laughed at his jokes. 

The one that listened to him when he talked and found him interesting. 

 The one who loved to make love to him...

He wants a wife that loves him just the way that he is with all his faults and bad habits.  THEN life becomes one long date. Ken and I have fun together now whether we walk around the neighborhood, go to church together, go out for breakfast, or I drive him to the airport in the wee hours of the morning for him to catch a plane for a business trip.

We no longer argue during drives in the car, when he calls me on the phone, or when we take a walk together. We are friends. Friends at last...Every day is like we are dating now.  You don't have to be rich to date. You just have to decide to love each other just the way you are and treat each other with the same respect and kindness you would treat a friend, except flirt a lot more with your husband than you would with a friend!

Dating for life is fun! I highly recommend it.

Let your fountain be blessed:
 and rejoice with the wife of your youth.
Proverbs 5:18