Monday, April 2, 2012

Co-Sleeping With Babies


Our babies didn't sleep in our bed with us, ever. I couldn't sleep if they were with us. They slept in a little bassinet beside my bed for two months, then I would move them into their own bedroom and make them sleep through the night.

Yes, we let them cry. I would go in every 10 or 15 minutes to make sure they were okay. It took about a week, but after that, they were great sleepers their whole childhood.  They never had nightmares or climbed into bed with us. They loved their own beds. Maybe we were lucky, but that was our experience with all four of our children.

There are many couples that co-sleep with their babies and even young children. I just wonder how many dads out there like this arrangement. If the dads are fine with it, I think it is okay, but if they are not, which I believe most are absolutely not okay with, the wives need to listen to them.  I can see how it would greatly dampen the sex life of the marriage.  A good, healthy marriage is the best thing you can give your children.

Some of you will likely disagree with how we did this and that is fine with me. Just make sure your husband is on board with you. Too many women demand it be done their way and that is not biblical. I know ancient cultures all had "family beds" but that doesn't mean we need to do it that way. Many cultures had slaves also, but that wasn't right. {I'm not comparing the two. I'm just saying that just because it is in the Bible, doesn't mean it is the best way. God never gave any commands about it so it is up to each of us to decide what it best for all involved.}

So when deciding what to do with babies and sleeping, seek godly wisdom including your husband's desires and use common sense. I have read of great, godly families who co-sleep with their children and have great marriages, so I know it can be done. Everyone needs to do what they feel is best for their marriages and their families.

She that is married cares for the things of the world, 
how she may please her husband.
I Corinthians 7:34