Sunday, April 1, 2012

Write Your Love Story


Years ago, when I was teaching in a very poor area of town, I was sitting at a lunch table with a group of teachers discussing having children. I was very pregnant with Alyssa at the time. Every single one of those teachers said that if they were to have children all over again, they would not do it. Child raising had not been a good experience for any of them.

Some couples who are unhappily married think that if they have a child, they will be happier. I think that good children have a small capacity to make parents happy, but bad children have a huge capacity to make parents very unhappy.

Sure, good children do bring joy in your life but I think a good marriage brings a lot more joy. There is something about marriage, becoming one flesh, that has a much stronger influence on the happiness of your life.

I have four amazing children. They have brought so much joy into my life. However, since Ken and I are at peace with each other and even enjoy each other now, we are both so much happier. I think it does a great disservice to children to expect them to make you happy. I sure wouldn't want to be responsible for my parent's happiness.

My conclusion...The happiest homes are those who have happily married parents. Do everything in your power to be at peace with your husband and to make him happy. Hollywood does have it right in this regard. All the great movies have a wonderful love story in them, because most people want a love story of their own. Write your own love story with the husband of your youth!

Let your fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife {husband!} of your youth.
Proverbs 5:18