Sunday, May 6, 2012

Men Need To Be Right


The source of most arguments is our need to be right.  I will say something is blue and Ken will say it is gray.  I will tell him, "No, it is blue."  He will say, "No, it is gray."  We will go back and forth and argue about it because we both want to be right.

I have learned something in my 31 years of being married.  Men need to be right.  I like to be right but men need to be right.  I think God put that desire in them because He called them to be leaders of their homes.  Besides, it is a prideful thing in me to always want to be right.

So what if it is blue and not gray.  SO WHAT?  Why do we make such a big deal about things.  Next time you start getting into an argument with your husband, take a step back and see if it really matters that you are right.  Start letting him be right and drop it.  Tell him,  "You're right."

This is why God created men to be the leaders.  Two leaders never work.  Two leaders would always be arguing and bickering trying to get their way.  This is why most marriages are in turmoil.  Most marriages have two leaders who always want to be right.

News flash.  You're not the leader.  I know I still struggle with this at times.  I really like to be right and think I know more than Ken.  But God told me that Ken is the leader whether he is right all the time or not and I am commanded to follow his leadership.

Having one leader makes for peace.  Peace is a wonderful thing.  A wonderful thing!  Let your husband be the leader.  Let him be right in the big as well as the little things.  It won't kill you.  It probably won't even hurt you.  Stop arguing about stupid things.  It is not productive in any way.  It is counterproductive  to building a happy, solid marriage.

Next time I say something is blue and Ken says it is gray, remind me to say, "You're right" and move on as I continue to hold his hand and walk joyfully onward.

For the husband is the head of the wife,
even as Christ is the head of the church:
and he is the saviour of the body.