Sunday, September 16, 2012

Young Newlywed Couple


Recently I wrote about Julia Child and her incredible marriage.  The other day I watched a reality show about a newly married young couple. Oh, how I wish I could give her some helpful advice.

While in the kitchen fixing dinner, the husband said something his young wife didn't appreciate at all.  {It was really a very harmless statement.} Her mother and sister were there and she became very upset with him.  She pouted and stewed and the husband was baffled.  She wouldn't tell him, her mother, or sister what was wrong with her.

After the mother and sister left, she explained to him what he had said that offended her.  She was offended easily.  I Corinthians 13 states that love does not take into account a wrong suffered...in other words, it is not easily offended.

When I was young, I was offended easily.  When you are offended you become upset and angry and often use it as a way to manipulate others.  As I have grown older, I have learned to allow people to say and do what they want and not become upset.  Ken will occasionally still make comments that could offend me easily if I let it but I have decided I wasn't going to let it bother me.  He doesn't have to say and act exactly the way I want him to act anymore.
Life is much more enjoyable if you don't go around with a chip on your shoulder becoming easily offended by others especially your husband.  Your marriage will benefit greatly if you learn this important lesson.

Love is patient, love is kind.
It does not envy,
it does not boast,
it is not proud. 
It does not dishonor others,
 it is not self-seeking,
it is not easily angered,
it keeps no record of wrongs.
I Corinthians 13:4,5

Alphabe-Thursday