Sunday, October 28, 2012

Celebrating Halloween


Should Christians celebrate Halloween???

I loved Halloween as a child...the costumes, the parties, the trick-or-treating.

When I was college, I studied the history of Halloween and decided I didn't want to celebrate it anymore.

When my children were young, I started celebrating it again...making their costumes, going to the church festival, and trick-or-treating.

Later, I was convicted about it again and quit celebrating it. We'd go to Disneyland with the kids that night or go out to dinner.

The pastor at my church sees it differently...We have a big fall carnival at our church. He tells us if we are having a neighborhood Halloween party, go there instead and be a light...laughing, loving, serving, and talking with our neighbors. Hand out candy with a warm smile and kind words.

I agree with him...The Bible doesn't say to not celebrate Halloween. I completely respect Christians who don't want to celebrate it. I also respect those who want to celebrate it. I think this is where our freedom in Christ comes into play.

I have learned to major on the majors and give grace on the minors. Let others do what they feel led to do...Show grace and love. Celebrating Halloween isn't sin in my eyes.

Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law.  To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some.  I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings
I Corinthians 9:19-23

P.S.  I told my sisters I was writing about celebrating Halloween.  They asked me what I wrote.  I said, "I did, then I didn't.  Then I did, then I didn't.  Then my pastor told me to, so I did!"  Just a quick recap! ;)