Saturday, March 9, 2013

Healthy Menu Planning


So what's for dinner?  I know as busy wives and mothers this is an ongoing decision one has to try and figure out daily since our families need nutritious food every day.  Here is a simple weekly plan you can follow if you want a week's worth of healthy dinners.

Sunday ~
Depending on the size of your family, roast one or two chickens.  I give detailed instructions on how to do this here.  While the chicken is roasting fix mashed potatoes, yams, rice, spicy oven fried potatoes, or some other condiment to go with it.  Another good idea is to make a big healthy salad to go with it.  Store the salad in these bags to keep it fresh for up to five days.  {I buy mine at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.  I use them over and over again.  They last a long time.}

After dinner, put all the bones, juices and skin in a big pot. {If is is late in the evening, put the pan in the refrigerate until the next day to make the broth.} Fill it with water.  Bring it to a boil and simmer for several hours.  Strain it and put the broth in the refrigerator.  Put all the left over chicken in a container for tomorrow's dinner.

Monday ~
Use the shredded chicken to make a burrito bar.  I make my own beans or you can simply buy cans of beans.  Buy whole wheat or corn tortillas and make burritos.  I have guacamole, cheese, tomatoes, and whatever you want for your burritos.

Tuesday ~
In a large pan, saute a large onion in some olive oil and butter.  Add all the broth {I even keep the fat layer that forms across the top.  It adds depth to the soup and is a good fat.}  and now you can add whatever vegetables and grains you want to it.  You can make my Chicken, Basil and Kidney Bean StewChicken And Black Bean Soup or my Quinoa, Vegetable, and Chicken Soup.  You can mix it up every week and be creative.  If you have any roasted chicken left, use it for the soup.

Wednesday ~
Cook some ground turkey or beef and make a big pot of my Spicy Spaghetti Sauce.  Make enough of the ground turkey or beef so you can use it tomorrow.

Thursday ~
Use the rest of the ground turkey or beef to make
My Hearty Chicken Parmesan is so easy and so good.  
It is a great meal for company.

Saturday ~
Take a break from cooking and eat up all the left overs from the week, as long as it hasn't been in the refrigerator more than four days.

I hope this helps some of you who have trouble coming up with meal plans.  I have been making all of these recipes for many years so they are tried and tested.  They are hearty meals that don't need fillers, like bread since the meal in itself with a salad is very filling and satisfying.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; 
You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows.
Psalm 23:5