Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Men Doing Housework


My husband and sons have never done much housework.  I never expected them to and I didn't teach my sons how to do much of it.  They made their beds and learned how to run the washer and dryer.  They would put their dishes in the dishwasher sometimes.  I felt like I really failed in this area.  Several other people told me I should have taught them housework and they felt sorry for their future wives!

Dennis Prager has a male/female hour every week.  On a recent program, he said that we shouldn't expect the males in our life to do much housework because most men don't think it is a masculine thing to do.  Wow!  Maybe I wasn't so far off base!

Studies have shown that when household chores are split, divorce is much higher.  It is good for a wife to be home full-time to take care of the children and home so the husband has a safe, peaceful place to come home to after a long day of work.

The Bible does say several places that women are to be keepers at home, guide the home, etc.  All of the Proverbs 31 woman's work revolved around the home.  The man's job is to provide a living for the family.  It is pretty clear in Scripture what the ideal roles are for a family.  We should always strive for the ideal and teach it.

I know some husbands love to help with the housework.  Ken had to do quite a bit when I was sick and pregnant or ill.  Steven lives on his own now and does a pretty good job at keeping his apartment clean but it is definitely not his thing!  Ryan has had to learn to help when Erin is sick.  They all do housework when needed but they sure would love to be doing other things!

However,  I enjoy taking care of the home.  God has blessed me with a nice home and wonderful family.  I feel like it is my job to take care of it.  Most women need to learn to enjoy it since it is definitely a feminine role.

So please don't destroy your marriage if your husband doesn't do much housework.  Don't ever nag him or complain about it.  Do your work willingly as to the Lord.  Decide that this is your job and you will do it to the best of your ability.  If he helps, great and if not, that is fine also.

Young women are to be discreet, chaste,
keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands,
that the word of God be not blasphemed.
Titus 2:5