Monday, April 15, 2013

Brain Surgery Update


The neurosurgeon who performed brain surgery on me nine years ago didn't retire!  When my dad called him, he wanted to do my surgery again.  The MRI was last Wednesday and by Friday morning, we were headed up to USC to see my surgeon.

On the drive up, Ken was telling me about this neurosurgeon at UCLA that Steven was recommended by the head of neurosurgery at UT Houston.  He uses endoscopic surgery where he has a huge screen up he can look at during surgery. I told Ken how much I would love to go to him...

My surgeon at USC said this tumor is a bit larger than my last tumor and is hugging the carotid arteries.  It completely fills the area where the pituitary lives.  It is pushing against the optic nerve and six other major nerves.  He is hoping it is the same consistency as the past one or it will be a much longer and complicated surgery.  He was booked until May 9th.

I looked at him and told him I can't wait until May 9th.  I am too sick. He said his associate who has been trained under him the past 9 years may be able to do it sooner.  He is much younger and does endoscopic surgery...God listening to the cry of His child's heart...

Shortly after, the younger doctor came in and all of us discussed my options.  He is planning on going up my nose to get to it and if he needs to see it better, he will drill a hole in my forehead.  He had an opening for surgery this next Monday the 22nd at 11:00.

Nine years ago my surgery at USC was a nightmare.  However, several of the events that made it a nightmare {having to go up the night before and being pumped full of cortisone which made me extremely ill, surgery being delayed eight hours the next day, coming out of anesthesia was frightening to say the least, and a few other events I don't wish to share...} seem to be resolved.

I don't have to go up the night before...YAY!  I don't have to be pumped full of cortisone!  I get to have the same cocktail of drugs I had for my neck fusion which made waking up a matter of just opening my eyes and saying "Hi!" 

My specific prayer requests are for a successful surgery, especially that they can remove every single tumor cell so it will never grow back.  A quick recovery would be wonderful. My poor husband's stress level also.  {I told him the first 23 years of marriage I intentionally caused him stress and the past 9 years I have unintentionally caused him stress with two brain surgeries, neck fusion, etc.}

I already see God in so many of the details.  He has been so good and faithful to me and I know He will be until the day He takes me home.  Thank you so much for your love and prayers.  God does love me through His people.

For our light affliction, which is but for a moment,
worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory.
II Corinthians 4:17

***Ken will keep you updated through my Always Learning facebook page 
while I am in the hospital which will be at least three days.