Sunday, April 28, 2013

Health As An Idol


Yesterday, while recovering physically and emotionally from brain surgery, I listened while Dr. Oz interviewed a woman who said, "If you don't have health, you don't have anything."  Wow!  I so disagree with her comment.
Yes, I have not had good health for the past 24 years.  My future is very uncertain, but isn't everybody's future uncertain?  First of all, I have a Savior who has saved me from the wrath to come, freed me from all of my sin, guilt, and condemnation, and is preparing a mansion for me where I will live eternally with Him and all my loved ones forever with no more sickness, crying, or pain.
I have an amazing husband who tenderly cares for me.  He has worked hard and been faithful to me for over 32 years.  He has provided a wonderful living for my children and me.  I have four children who walk with Jesus, love me, and brighten up my life every time I see them.
I have a son-in-law and daughter-in-law who are more than I could have ever dreamed or hoped for.  They are amazing spouses to two of my children.  I have the most adorable grandbaby ever who lights up my life and even makes me laugh when I walk into my home as a basket case from three rough days in the hospital.  {You tired, Grandma.  You so tired, Grandma....Grandpa, Grandma is so tired!}
I have godly parents who are with me every step of this journey.  I have supportive and loving sisters.  I have amazing friends who pray consistently for my health to be restored.  I have a church and ministry I love.  I even love my neighborhood.  They are all praying for me, sending flowers, and wanting to help in any way they can. {Thank you, Bartletts, for the beautiful flowers pictured above!}
I could go on and on...my home, food, neurosurgeons who piece me back together, Door Country, cousins, etc. God is so very, very good.  He has taken me through all my trials faithfully and He will never fail me.
I now concentrate on the verses about smiling at the future and having no fear of bad news.  My God doesn't want me to be anxious about anything.  Sure, there have been a lot of tears lately but we know He is in complete control.  I will never doubt that no matter what happens to me.  Life is hard.  A lot of bad things happen.  I couldn't imagine going through it without Jesus.  With Him, there is always hope.
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord,
plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
Jeremiah 29:11