Friday, April 19, 2013

My Biggest Advocate

Right after I got my MRI results, I got into my car and called Ken.  He had left on a business trip to Texas that morning and told me he was coming right home.  Then I called my mom and dad.  As soon as we hung up, my dad was on the phone finding a neurosurgeon for me.
Nine years ago with my first surgery, he spent many hours on the phone trying to find the best surgeon.  Two days after finding the tumor had returned, we were headed to Los Angeles.  My dad brought all my past records and MRIs with him.  He is always well prepared.
After scheduling surgery, they told me I would need a family doctor to order a bunch of pre-op tests to be done.  I don't have a normal family doctor.  The only kind of doctors I seem to need are neurosurgeons.  As soon as we got home, my dad went into town and found me a good family doctor.

When I go into surgery, I know he will be there.  He was always there for my past surgeries praying for me and making sure I was okay.  We always knew that about my dad...He would always be there for us when we needed him.
Of course, Ken does everything possible for me also but my dad is a doctor so he has a bit of an advantage in finding a great doctor.  My sister and I were talking on the phone the other day and she asked, "What are we going to do when dad is no longer around to help us?" 

Having a faithful, committed father is a huge blessing in a child's life.  If you have a father like that, thank him.  If your husband is like that, thank him.
And he will turn the hearts of fathers to their children
and the hearts of children to their fathers.
Malachi 4:6