Saturday, May 25, 2013

Commanded To Hospitality


Do you know we are commanded to be hospitable? 

Show hospitality to one another without grumbling
I Peter 4:9

There it is and it is to be done without grumbling.  Most people do not like to be hospitable.  They don't have enough time.  It is too much trouble.  It costs too much and they like their privacy.

However, if you want to be obedient to God, you can no longer make excuses.  I have heard from missionaries that people in third world countries are the most generous people with their food and possessions.  I wonder why that is the case.  Why does wealth create greed?

We must live our lives with open hands.  God's ways are best.

There is one who scatters, yet increases all the more, And there is one who withholds what is justly due, but it results only in want.  The generous man will be prosperous, And he who waters will himself be watered
Proverbs 11:24,25

I use to be very selfish.  When we had guests, I was always concerned about the food they ate, the water they used, etc.  It was ugly.  Thankfully, the Lord convicted me and changed me.  Now I love to have people over and make them comfortable when I am feeling good. 

So when God commands something of us, it always results in our benefit!  The more hospitable and generous you become, the more good things you will reap.