Monday, May 20, 2013

Self-Pity Is So Ugly


Steve Harvey was interviewing a couple who was heading for divorce.  He asked the woman what she felt was wrong with the marriage.  She sat there and told us all the things her husband did wrong.  He didn't understand her love language.  He doesn't do this and that.  On and on it went.  It was ugly...

Self-pity is ugly.  Wouldn't it be amazing if she had answered, "I don't hardly ever give him sex.  I expect so much from him.  I want him to behave the way I want him to and I know that is wrong.  I rarely try to serve or learn what pleases him."

No, you never hear that when you ask a spouse what is wrong in a marriage.  It is always the other person's fault.  That is why Created To Be His Help Meet was so powerful for me.  Debi pointed out all the things I was doing wrong and I was doing plenty wrong.  I just didn't realize it.

We are so blind to our own faults.  This is why young women need older women to tell them the truth.  Satan blinds us to our sins so we can only concentrate on the sins of others thus destroying our relationships.

Own up to your faults.  Stop looking at his faults.  You stand only accountable to God, no one else.  The lower your expectations are for your husband, the happier you both will be.  God commands for you to love, serve, please, submit to, obey, and respect your husband.  Work on all of those and see how mightily God will work in your marriage to restore it to beauty.

Love is patient and kind; 
love does not envy or boast;
 it is not arrogant or rude. 
It does not insist on its own way; 
it is not irritable or resentful; 
it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, 
but rejoices with the truth.
I Corinthians 13:4-6

picture source