Tuesday, July 9, 2013

He Wants You To Wear A Bikini


A reader asked me if she should wear a bikini since her husband wants her to wear one. She doesn't feel comfortable about it since she feels it is immodest and would feel like a hypocrite since she teaches her daughters to be modest. She didn't know what to do.

When I get a tough question that I am not sure about, I ask my favorite older woman.  

Here was her reply ~

Your question is a very interesting one. I think I would answer it the same way I would answer a woman if her husband asked her to watch x-rated movies. In other words, if he is asking her to do something that goes against what she feels God's Word says {not just a prejudice she has, but a conviction}, then I would recommend that she share these verses with her husband and explain that showing so much of her body to men who are not her husband, goes against her convictions and she feels that it doesn't please the Lord and she would so appreciate him honoring her convictions. {I Timothy 2:9, I Cor. 6:19-20}

However, I would encourage her to then playfully tell him that she would happily wear it for him anytime if they were alone somewhere, or in a jacuzzi where she wasn't on display etc. She should also bring up the fact that she is setting the example for her girls and feels that it's important for her to model modesty to them. I'd also encourage her to fervently pray for a listening ear and sensitive heart from her husband before she shares this with him.

It's interesting to note that the reason a man wants his wife to wear a bikini in front of others is either to attract or tempt other men, to show off, or to make others jealous...all of which are not Godly characteristics.

My added thoughts would be if he still wants her to wear a bikini, then she should wear one but have a wrap on the majority of the time, especially if other people are around. 

Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire.
1 Timothy 2:9