Monday, November 25, 2013

Did God Choose Your Spouse?


Does God choose our spouse?  Is there one perfect someone out there for you?  One person commented on another blog, "I do not believe that God chooses our spouses or that there is "one person" out there somewhere that God made and meant just for me.  That's ridiculous in my opinion.  We have free will to choose if we marry and who we may marry."  Do you agree with this opinion?  Do you feel God chose your spouse?

I believe that if you love the Lord and you are seeking His will by asking Him to direct you in choosing a spouse, He will.  If He can save your soul, He can certainly guide you to a spouse.  Of course, He does command us to marry a believer so if you want to marry an unbeliever, He certainly didn't choose that spouse for you.  But if you marry an unbeliever by going against God's word, you must stay with him and be a godly help meet to him.

God did give us free will but He tells us to let our requests be made known unto Him, seek and you will find, and we know He is in control.  I sure wanted Him to pick out my spouse, the most important decision I would ever make after believing in Him.  I prayed a ton when I was dating Ken and even throughout our engagement.  We had the same beliefs and values.  I knew we could build a marriage upon that.

Love is a choice, however.  I have to continually choose to love Ken and please him.  I believe young women need to be mentored to know what that looks like because I sure did not.  God's Word and His Holy Spirit do guide us so we are not left in this world on our own, thankfully, even when it comes to choosing a spouse.

Delight thyself also in the LORD; 
and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
Psalm 37:4