Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Our Simple New Year's Eve


We have lived in this home for 16 years.  Our refrigerator was two years old when we moved in.  It is old now.  The ice machine quit long time ago.  The drawers are very difficult to pull out.  However, the temperature is always perfect.  It has never given us trouble.  An 18 year old frig!  

When I was sleeping Monday night, all of a sudden I woke up and thought I would choke to death.  The smoke in my room was so thick I could hardly breath.  I ran down the stairs and yelled for Ken asking him what was happening.  He had put his heating pad in the microwave to warm up and the microwave never stopped warming it up so the heating pad caught on fire.  We had to open all the windows in my bedroom and it was freezing!  {Well, freezing for here...45 degrees.}  Our microwave is 16 years old!

So Ken and I journeyed to Home Depot today to look for a new refrigerator and microwave.  We use things until they break, most of the time.  I really don't want to do that with our frig since we could lose a lot of good food and we probably wouldn't get as good as a deal if we had to get it right away.  The salesman told us the life of a refrigerator today is about 10 to 12 years and a microwave is only 6 to 7 years. :(

We enjoy leading a life of not always needing the newest and the best.  We try to be content with what we have.  We do have a lot being blessed to live in America!  We try to live carefully and not be wasteful.  We bought our washer and dryer used since things made years ago last so much longer.

I have been reading Down To Earth  blog for a long time.  I love what she posted yesterday ~

I was talking to a young man the other day, his first child will be born later this year.  He is ready to settle down and start a family but where he sees difficulty, job uncertainty and not enough money, I see opportunity and independence.  When I was his age I thought that a baby must be born into a family using newly bought clothes and equipment.  I know now it makes no difference whether what you have is new or old, what matters is that baby is loved and the family it's born into is stable.  Stability, love and calmness will see every baby through.  All a baby really needs is to be fed, to be warm and secure and held in loving arms.

So this new year, keep your priorities straight.  Grow strong in the wisdom and the knowledge of the Lord.  Love your husband and children deeply.  Be content with what the good Lord has given you.  Be thankful and cheerful as you trust in the Lord and His provision.

Happy New Year!

Trust in the Lord with all your heart 
and lean not on your own understanding.  
In all your ways acknowledge Him 
and He shall direct your steps.
Proverbs 3:5,6