Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Keeper At Home ~ A Horrible Expression?


There are a lot of people who disagree with me on different subjects that I teach and that is okay. I certainly do not know everything or claim to know everything. I just teach my convictions and sometimes they even change except for those that are solidly biblical.

The topic of keepers at home always initiates a lot of discussion. 
One women made this comment recently on this post ~

As a empty nester, middle aged woman, I never looked for a career. I always wanted to be a wife and mother. However, that was not God's plan for me. After years of doing foster care, we adopted a child in his teens. He obviously quickly became an adult and moved out on his own. 

Through foster care, God led me to my calling of nursing. It would have actually been disobedient *NOT* to have answered this call. I work 32 hours a week, living my calling, and am paid very well to do it. My husband has three day weekends every week, and I have plenty of time to be a so-called "keeper at home", which is a horrible expression, BTW. 

I think you suffer from tunnel vision, thinking that 1. Paul's message for how to care for widows isn't adaptable to the 21st century, 2. That all "career" and "Career women" look alike.

Cabinetman is a frequent commenter on my blog and I always enjoy reading his perspective on different subjects. He responded to this women this way ~

Almost every teaching in the Bible we don't like gets attributed to "it isn't adaptable to the 21st century." Which is just false and your calling God's Word false by the way {to put it another way you are saying God is wrong}. It isn't that it isn't adaptable, it's that we as His people are not being obedient to His Word. 

Your situation is not the situation Lori was speaking about, unless you are neglecting either your husband, your grown child, your home or things the Lord is asking you to do {in church, for those in need, etc.}. If that is not the case, then this message is not for you. However, most career woman are indeed neglecting those things. One only has so much time and energy in this life and giving 32 or 40 hours to "the world" and your boss is a pretty sure fire way not to have that energy and time to give to those who need it most, your husband and children. {And I might add teaching younger women as God commands!}

Great food for thought!

He maketh the barren woman to keep house, 
and to be a joyful mother of children. Praise ye the LORD.

Psalm 113:9

***Another verse about being a keeper at home!