Friday, May 30, 2014

Is Eating Sugar Sinful?


My son, Steven, thought eating sugar was sinful while he was growing up. I admit it, I didn't like my children eating junk food AT ALL. I know I went overboard and didn't handle it in the correct way, but as more and more studies come out, it is very apparent how harmful sugar is to us.

My son-in-law's father never allowed his children to eat sugar growing up. None of his children had cavities! A movie Fed Up just came out and explained how terrible sugar is for us. I read a book years ago called Sugar Blues which explained the detrimental affect sugar has on our health, therefore, I didn't want my children to eat that "poison!"

In the movie, it tells us that over 80% of the items in the supermarket contain sugar. Sugar is responsible for obesity, diabetes, heart disease, high blood sugar, cancer, etc. We use to think it was fats that were so bad for us, but now we have discovered it is sugar and processed foods that are killing us. If you get rid of eating sugar, you would get rid of eating most chemicals, junk fats, and other harmful things in processed foods. {By the way, eating white flour does the same thing in your body that sugar does.}

Katie Couric went on a ten day sugar fast. She said in that ten days she lost five pounds, slept better, and had more energy. Sugar is very addictive so it is difficult to give up. However, you can lose the desire for it if you stay away from it for a time.

If you are given a steak to eat, you eat until you are full and then quit. If you are given cookies, you eat and eat until you are stuffed. Junk food doesn't satisfy our nutritional needs so we continue to eat it way past the limit of how much we should eat. Many people have bodies that are starving for lack of good, nutritious food even though they are way overweight.

Sugar does nothing beneficial for our health. Everything we eat affects us one way or another. I encourage you to eat food just the way God created it: organic meat, eggs, and dairy, lots of fruits and vegetables, healthy fats, grains, beans, etc. If God created it, it is much better than what man can do to it. He is our Creator and knows what is best for us.

And no, eating sugar is not sinful. There is no where in the Bible that says we can't eat sugar. It may not be wise, but it is not sinful!

Or do you not know that your body is a temple 
of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God,
 and that you are not your own?
I Corinthians 6:19

***Our very favorite drink is HERE. We LOVE it!!!

****I challenge you to try giving up sugar for 10 days 
and let me know how it goes!