Friday, December 12, 2014

Do We Only Obey Our Husbands When We are Comfortable?


God commands that wives obey their husbands in everything, except when he asks them to sin. I walked up to a table of VERY godly women and they were talking about a husband who insists that his wife weigh herself once a week so he can make sure she is not gaining too much weight. They all thought this was horrible! What are your thoughts?

I asked this question in the Chat Room. Many women agreed and thought it was not good that a husband ask this of his wife. They thought the husband was being controlling and unloving. Then I told them that Ken wants me to weigh often to make sure I am not losing more weight. I have lost a lot of weight the last year due to all of my health problems. The women saw no problem with this since he was doing it because he cared about my health.

I then responded to the women that maybe this husband cares about his wife's health also since it is a well-known fact today that being overweight causes MANY health problems. So there was a lot of good discussion, some hurt feelings, and good insight. The bottom line, in my opinion, was the fact that wives are commanded to obey their husbands in everything regardless whether or not they felt comfortable about it or agreed with it.

One of the last comments was very insightful to me. She said,  "I've been overweight since I had my second baby at age 42. Went from a size 8 to 18. I wasn't saved then, but looking back, I wish my husband had monitored my weight and helped me to keep it under control. In hindsight, it would have saved me from the health problems I am now having, in addition to the loss of my self-esteem. God's ways ARE for our good. When we stray from following His commands, we always suffer the consequences."

I find that many women bring in their own experiences and feelings when mentoring other women instead of pointing to the Bible and what God has to say about things. Is this husband asking his wife to sin? No. Then she needs to obey this simple request. Yes, some will say he is controlling but you don't know the motive behind his request. My dad insists my mom take her blood pressure medicine every day. Another husband I know insists his wife have the home tidy when he gets home. 

Take Sarah for example. She was asked by Abraham to lie and say that she was his sister and then become a part of a king's harem. God uses her as an example of true submission ~ 

"...the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit is in the sight of God of great price. For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God adorned themselves, being in subjection to their own husbands: even as Sarah obeyed Abraham..." 
I Peter 4:3-6

God uses this example to encourage women that He does want them to submit to their husbands, even if it is uncomfortable and then trust Him. I hope all of you, when you are mentoring other women, will give them biblical advice, not advice based upon your feelings, experiences or what you think is right or wrong. I mentor many women and I give them all the same advice based upon the solid Word of God and it has worked miracles in many marriages and helped all of them. Just always remember, when you are obeying your husband, you are obeying Christ.