Friday, April 3, 2015

Missing the Love of My Life


Ken just got back from being away for well over two weeks. When my children were young, he'd be gone half the year for business. Now, he doesn't travel as much; he's rarely even gone for a whole week. I didn't miss him when he traveled when I was younger. Since he's traveled our whole married life, I don't miss him too much when he's gone for a few days. I stay busy at home and try to keep my mind off of it, but him being gone for over two weeks this time was VERY HARD! In fact, I felt like crying when I picked him up at the airport.

While he was gone, I had a dream. I was at a wedding. Some guy I couldn't see came up behind me and began slow dancing with me. My knees were weak and it felt SO good! We finally came to a stop and I felt guilty so I turned my head slightly and saw that it was Ken! I was SO happy so we continued dancing and it felt SO good! {Best dream EVER!} When I was waiting at the airport to pick him up yesterday, I texted my sisters that I couldn't WAIT  to slow dance with him!

When you miss someone like that, it almost hurts physically. Kara Tippetts went to be with Jesus last month. She was an amazing, godly woman. She loved and adored her husband. Everyone knew they were madly in love and still in that "honeymoon phase." On the way to the airport, I thought about her husband and how physically aching he must be for her; to hold her, kiss her and whisper in her ear. I can't even imagine the pain that he is going through. I also thought about military wives who have to live for months and sometimes years away from their husbands. I got a tiny taste how difficult that must be for them.

I'm glad I missed my husband deeply. It's the first time I really experienced it because I love him so much now. I teased him when he got into the car by telling him I'm glad I didn't like him when I was younger and he was gone for long periods at a time, because it hurts too much! I regret terribly that it took so many years for me to miss him this way. God's ways are so good. I've learned how to respect him, obey him, submit to him, please him, and enjoy him; all the things I used to not do. I was the one missing out and Ken did too.

If you're still married, dear readers, love your husband. Stop trying to do marriage your way and begin doing it God's beautiful way. His ways aren't to make your life unexciting, unfulfilling and boring. Just the opposite! The world's ways are empty promises. Getting our own way, quarreling and nagging, and all the other things many wives are good at, just don't work at all. If you want a close and intimate marriage, give up your will and ways and allow your husband to be the head and leader of the home. He WILL rise to the occasion, so the next time he leaves for awhile, you'll have romantic dreams about him and look forward to slow dancing with him when he gets home!

Scarcely had I left them when I found him whom my soul loves;
 I held on to him and would not let him go.
Song of Solomon 3:4

***I couldn't find ONE picture of us slow dancing at any of our children's weddings! However, I found this picture of Ken with our precious Cassi Lyn at her wedding.