Sunday, August 9, 2015

A Letter to My Husband on our First Anniversary


Dearest Steven,

I can't believe I am already writing out this letter for our one year anniversary. It feels like just yesterday I was writing our story for your mom's blog the week before our wedding {which I just reread and broke down in tears!}.

We've said that the question we've gotten asked the most since that day last August has been, "What has surprised you most about marriage?" We laugh because there is very little that has really surprised us, especially considering we didn't date very long at all. We heard the warnings from friends before we got married: "There's nothing that can prepare you for living together," and my personal favorite: "You just  don't really know what you're getting." I'm happy to report that while these statements may be true for some couples, they haven't been true of us. I think you having sisters and me having a brother helped for a smooth transition.

There have, however, been a few changes that we've both had to adjust to. I smile thinking of the gracious way you've put up with my quirks and habits. Here's a list of some of the things I think you've learned this past year:

- There is no limit to the amount of hair care products a woman can possess.
- My haircut will cost more than yours. I think you want it this way.
- Sometimes a girl just needs a good cry, and that's not necessarily an indication that something is wrong. Emotions are God-given!
- We have very different definitions of the word "clean".
- You've learned to be afraid, very afraid, when I approach you and say, "Baby, there's this project on pinterest that looks super easy!....."
- An eyelash curler is not a "torture device".
- You've learned that sometimes I need to talk things out. I think you're one of the few men in the world who is truly a great listener instead of an immediate "fixer". I love this trait about you.
- There is a difference between a duvet and a comforter.

And here are some of the things you've taught me this year:

- Guys really are that simple.
- Cash doesn't equal free money.
- A salad a day keeps the doctor away.
- It is actually possible to have a neutral opinion about something.
- True discernment usually requires time and lots of prayer.
- You're annoyingly good at everything.

Our first year of marriage has been such an incredible blessing from our Father above. The Lord knew exactly what kind of man I would need when He wrote our love story.  I admire your leadership, wisdom, and love for the Lord. I adore your kindness, level head, and the way you make me burst into fits of giggles. I even love the way you gently challenge me and encourage me to be less like Emily and more like Jesus. There's no one I would rather walk through life with.

Thank you for your fierce love of God, for pursuing me even though our courtship ended awhile ago, for valuing and treasuring my thoughts and opinions, for working so hard to provide financially for us, and for encouraging and enabling the gifts God has given me.

I can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for the next fifty anniversaries, the one day blessing of children, grandchildren....maybe even great grandchildren! We serve a great God; let's continue to make it the mission of our marriage to pursue him with our whole heart.

All my love,
Your Bride Emily

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.  
1 Corinthians 13:4-8