Thursday, October 8, 2015

Halloween Has Gotten Very Ugly!


Halloween was different when I was a child. Many things were different in the 60s. Life was simpler and wasn't as ugly as it is today. It was far from perfect, however. Divorces were common. Sexual immorality was gaining ground. Things were definitely going south morality wise back then but society is getting a lot darker and uglier.

Take this picture, for instance. This was taken in one of my friend's neighborhoods. In fact, I raised my children in this neighborhood. My children enjoyed being raised there and have many fond memories. There weren't things like this in the neighborhoods back then. There may have been some tombstones and the likes but nothing like this that would have scared little ones.

Do you know how offensive this would be to anyone who has lost a loved one through suicide or through demonic influences? Halloween is becoming a holiday to celebrate demonic forces instead of pumpkins, princesses and cowboys. I do believe you can still celebrate this holiday and make it a positive event instead of a negative and evil event. This is what we, as believers, are called to do; bring light into the darkness.

I, personally, don't like anything about Halloween but I love what Kara Tippets wrote last year shortly before she died. She was a precious mother of four young children and had a strong, happy marriage. "I pray tonight you have the opportunity to love and meet your neighborhood. I pray you get to smile in the young faces that come to your door and radiate the beauty you know in Jesus. I pray as you meet your neighbors and love them with your brand of beautiful Big LOVE. I hope to meet and warm a few new faces by my fire tonight. Some of you darken your doors on this day. The freedom we are given in Jesus is to do that or to open wide our doors and meet the faces that come tromping to our door. There is liberty for us all. I do not wish to start a debate on this issue. Simply tell you tonight, the fire pit is moving from the back yard to the front yard, and the Holy Spirit in my soul will be meeting the faces that enter the warmth of my fire with the known grace I enjoy today."

I shared this on my Facebook page and here are some comments 
from some of my readers ~

Debbie said, "I love giving out candy to the little ones. If you look into the history of several of our holidays, you may be surprised at what your find. I have good friends who are Messianic Jews and they don't do Easter eggs because of the history of it. I just celebrate the good in all holidays. They are fun and the kids have a great time."

Alisha responded, "We do not celebrate Halloween since I was into witchcraft as a teen; I've seen so much evil and unfortunately that day can be very wicked. We do teach our children that every day is a day that the Lord has made and we can praise God. As a family, we watch a movie and I buy them their favorite candy. I've always wished the church would have a prayer and praise and worship on that day. But all the churches I've seen cater to the flesh instead of the spirit. If only people could see what happens on that day they would pray but I'm sure that's too scary for most Christians to realize."

Carmine added, "We celebrate as a family, including clean family costumes. Two years ago, we went as Cat in the Hat with our children as Thing 1, 2, 3, and 4; last year we went as the Frozen crew; this year with the kids as bees, me the queen bee and my husband as the beekeeper. Costumes are a much homemade as possible. We always have a blast together! We want Halloween to be fun, not scary."

Lindsay said on last year's post, "I think celebrating a holiday is about what's in your heart. I know people who don't celebrate holidays because of their 'pagan origins.' But the pagans don't have a right to steal a day that God made and make it off limits to worshipers of the one true God. We certainly shouldn't borrow pagan traditions in order to be like the world. But celebrating the birth or resurrection of Christ or being thankful to God for what He has given us are good things and no pagan tradition can take that away, even if they happen to do things on the same day of the year. If anything, we ought to celebrate the one true God and His blessings all the more if the pagans are trying to do something bad on that day so that God has more to be happy about."

Whether you celebrate Halloween or not is up to you. It is our liberty we all have in Christ to decide. This is NOT something that should cause division in the family of God. Some don't celebrate Christmas with Christmas trees and others don't celebrate Easter with Easter baskets because of their pagan origins. In my older age, I have decided not to make this an issue. My children have fond memories of these holidays growing up. We must be careful in choosing our battles with our children. If you feel deeply convicted about some of these, please don't celebrate them, but give others the freedom to chose for themselves. We should be known for having peace among the brethren!

 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God. For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself; for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord's.
Romans 14:6-8